Tuesday, May 23, 2017


Cardboard Stage Tree 

Cardboard stage scenery tree

The 2017 VBS from LifeWay is Galactic Starveyors.  Looks like a few stage trees are needed. They are easily made from two inch Styrofoam, but if the budget is lacking;these may work instead. My guess is future VBS may need trees also, so if I can find a place to store them I will.



Here is a look at the tools and materials I used. The materials consist of cardboard and hot glue. I'll paint them latter. Cardboard is pretty abundant. When I go into Sam's Club* around 6:00 pm. they are more than happy to let me take large sheets of the stuff, and if I call Lowe's* in the morning and speak to the person in charge of the backroom they are nice enough to save me washer/dryer or refrigerator boxes. 

I'm working on two trees here, so there are photos of different trees at different steps of the construction.

I drew the tree trunk with a couple of bushes at the base. The bushes are needed to make the base as large as possible. The larger the base the more stable the tree will be. Also, I made sure on the second tree that one of the branches went straight up from the trunk. This will help the brace, that will be glued to the back later, to run straight up the entire tree. The first tree doesn't have this so the braces had to zigzag and are not as effective.














I have switched to cutting these big pieced with a jig saw. Wow, it was so much easier! than past cuts when I used a box knife. If you need identical pieces you can cut three or four sheets at a time.

When I use a box knife I cut one side then flip it over and cut along the other side where I can see where the blade cut most of the way through.











When I needed to make a sharp turn I just stopped the saw lifted it up and then plunged it back down through the cardboard in the direction I needed and started cutting again.







The only drawback is the frayed looking edges; which I trimmed with the sheet metal cutter and/or scissors. I'll get a blade with more teeth for future cuts and that should help.


Next I drew the foliage and cut them out. the foliage is a series of half circles around a large perimeter.  I made three little foliage pieces also.
(The orange is because I used that cardboard to paint giant carrots on in April 2017)




I needed a back brace so, I cut some four inch strips and scored them down the middle and folded them into an L shape. I held them against the back of the trunk and hot glued both sides.

I discovered that the best order of operations is glue the foliage to the trunk, then glue the back brace.

I Also needed a few more bushes to make the base for the tree,  Each tree needed two eight inch high strips; the longer the better.

I scored and bent the strips into rectangles, then cut cardboard-wide slots half way down from the top. I cut matching slots half way up from the bottom on the base of the tree. I slid the two together and this created a stand for the tree. 


I made most of the rectangle stick out the back of the tree, but I still needed enough out the front to keep the tree from falling forward.
Then I hot glued a small flat bottom bush to the front.



Now it was time to finish the top of the tree. 

I drew three small bits of foliage, and some one inch wide strips.  The length of the strips just needs to be enough to form into polygons.  







I put hot glue on the end of the polygons and stuck them to the foliage.








Finally, I put hot glue all along the edge of the two strips and pressed it to the foliage.



Ready for paint.














All content and information I present on this blog is intended for entertainment only and is presented “as is”, without claims or warranties of any kind, express or implied. I am not an expert of any kind; I just figure out how to make and create projects and I am willing to share that information. USE THIS INFORMATION AT YOUR OWN RISK! USE OF THIS INFORMATION CONSTITUTES AN AGREEMENT BY THE READER TO ASSUME ALL RISKS! The reader’s interpretation and application of this information shall be the reader’s sole responsibility. The reader agrees to hold harmless the author and publisher and therefore in no event shall the author or publisher be liable to the reader or any third party for any damages, claims, expenses or other costs; including, without limitation, legal fees arising from or in connection with the use of this information. The reader further agrees that their sole and exclusive remedy is to discontinue use of this information. I hold the copy right to the content if this blog and it may be used only with my permission. Your personal or contact information will not be shared with anyone, by me. I am not responsible for what the publisher or any of its partners do with your information. I reserve the right to change, close, sell or change the terms of use for this blog at any time. I am not responsible for any of the behavior or products presented by advertisers or sponsors in connection with this blog. If you wish to ask a question you may email me, however, I check my email about four times a year so a comment may work better. Please understand that any comments or emails sent become my property to use as desired.

No comments: