Sunday, July 24, 2016


Butterfly Yarn Bowl


Butterfly Yarn Bowl
 I made an attempt at my first yarn bowl.  A friend, who sits our home while we are away, is a knitter.
She owns her own sheep, shears them, spins the wool into yarn and knits all kinds of clothing.

A yarn bowl holds a ball of yarn in one place while knitting. The yarn is pulled out a curly-q hole.

A large birdhouse ornamental gourde was used. I traced five different overlapping butterflies onto it. Then cut off the top along the upper most line. I cleaned it out with a wire brush attached to a drill. Gourds a pretty fragile so I handled it with care.  I used a small round bit to etch the butterflies.  I sprayed the whole thing with brown, then masked off the lower part and misted (lightly sprayed)  the butterflies with bronze spray paint. I traced the etched lines with bronze paint and finally covered the whole thing with a clear gloss spray.  



No comments: