Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Halloween Yard Decorations: Plexiglass Ghosts

 An experiment in discovering how to make them.


If you've searched the web for Halloween decorations; it possible that you've encountered the David Lowe Design blog. If you haven't check it out; David Lowe Design. He has posted a variety of projects and has the most imaginatively diverse Halloween display in the country.

In 2016 he showed three ghosts that were constructed from Plexiglass; I call them plexighosts. He thought he would be able to post a how-to on his blog. For some reason, I hope it is a happy reason, he has not been able to. So I decided to start experimenting with the concept myself; this is my first try.

I have found the instructions on the Hallmark Channel website.


I discovered that Plexiglass is expensive and I'm not good at expensive. I decided to start with a small plexighost. I have a jack-o-lantern that sits on top of a tombstone popper and knew I could replace it with a ghost head. got a 11”x14” sheet of Lexan that has a thickness of .093 which I'd say is a bit thicker than an eighth of an inch. It cost a little less than $8.




I sketched out a ghost head in pencil then I used a black marker to make the lines very easy to see.




 



By placing the Lexan over the sketch it was easily etch the lines for the eyes and mouth.  









I had three bits, for my Dremel tool, that I believed would work good; I chose the middle round bit that had been purchased in a set at Harbor Fright Tools. 








Now I just traced the lines with the Dremel.  
















Then I used a cutting blade to cut the outline. There are many ways to cut Plexiglass and Lexan. Straight cuts are very easy with a utility knife. Since these were curved I felt I should use the Dremel. With thicker Plexiglass, I would use a jigsaw. I discovered that this stuff scuffs and scratches very easily. Next time I'll take special precautions to prevent this. 









The cut were pretty ragged, because the Lexan melted a bit while it was being cut. I filed and sanded them. 









Now I needed something to mount it to. I figured a sandwich situation would work best and think that no matter where a Plexighosts is to be installed this is the best solution.















I drilled two holes through both pieces of wood with the Lexan in between.









Then I put bolts through the holes and tightened washers and a nut on it to hold it all together. 



















I removed the Jack-o-lantern from the popper pole and marked where I would need to drill the holes to mount the plexighosts on the pole. I drilled them and bolted it to the pole.










I thought that the light that shines through David's ghosts was shining straight up through the Plexiglass; similar to fiber optic cable. 





I discovered that this wasn't working as I thought it would, so I fashioned a light mount out of wire. I have a small section of chain link fence that I have used for different projects like this. I made a narrow loop that screws fit through and a ½ inch loop for the light to fit in. The wire is about 12 inches long and allows a bunch of flexibility. Now I mounted the light holder to the ghost's mount; in a position so it is not seen from the front but shineds up on the Plexighosts.




I mounted it to the popper apparatus. 













plexiglass ghost tombstone popper




Now the light tests start. This first one is with a small LED .5 watt c7 night light; it puts out probably 10 lumens. 

Pretty good, but is a little dim. 










Plexiglass ghost tombstone popper

Next, I tried the light from inside the tombstone, It is a LED 5 watt bulb, and delivers 350 lumens. 

It lit the ghost perfectly, the photo doesn't do the actual project justice. However, this light put out a bunch of unwanted ambient light. 



So it seems what I'm looking for is a bright small white spotlight.


So, I'm happy with the experiment so, far and will use this Plexighost this year with the correct light.  Next year I hope to make one of the ground mounted Plexighosts similar to Dave's.

All content and information I present on this blog is intended for entertainment only and is presented “as is”, without claims or warranties of any kind, express or implied. I am not an expert of any kind; I just figure out how to make and create projects and I am willing to share that information. USE THIS INFORMATION AT YOUR OWN RISK! USE OF THIS INFORMATION CONSTITUTES AN AGREEMENT BY THE READER TO ASSUME ALL RISKS! The reader’s interpretation and application of this information shall be the reader’s sole responsibility. The reader agrees to hold harmless the author and publisher and therefore in no event shall the author or publisher be liable to the reader or any third party for any damages, claims, expenses or other costs; including, without limitation, legal fees arising from or in connection with the use of this information. The reader further agrees that their sole and exclusive remedy is to discontinue use of this information. I hold the copy right to the content if this blog and it may be used only with my permission. Your personal or contact information will not be shared with anyone, by me. I am not responsible for what the publisher or any of its partners do with your information. I reserve the right to change, close, sell or change the terms of use for this blog at any time. I am not responsible for any of the behavior or products presented by advertisers or sponsors in connection with this blog. If you wish to ask a question you may email me, however, I check my email about four times a year so a comment may work better. Please understand that any comments or emails sent become my property to use as desired.
 




No comments: